Few design features are as important to a home’s décor as the right lighting. Not only is it one of the first things you notice when you enter someone’s house, but good lighting can instantly brighten your mood and put you at ease. Therefore, if you’re looking to redecorate, start with the lighting. Follow these tips to find the best lights to design a space you love to spend time in and can’t wait to show off.
Different Uses for Lighting
Simple lighting has one main purpose: to enable you to see in the dark. However, when planning lighting design, you need to consider all that lighting can do. It can:
- Make a room look and feel bigger
- Set a mood
- Add decoration
- Create a nook, i.e., for reading, watching TV, or intimate conversations
- Brighten up a room
- Impress your guests
- Provide task lighting
- Highlight your favorite decor
- Increase safety indoors and outside
- Enable you to maximize the use of your space
5 Types of Lights
Once you know how you want to use lighting, consider different types of lights. Accent lamps, chandeliers, recessed lighting, etc., what type of lights will fit with your home’s décor? There are five main types of lights:
- Decorative lighting – used for decoration as much as light, such as a boho lamp, retro wall sconce, or a statement-piece chandelier
- Accent lighting – used to show off art pieces, highlight bookshelves, and provide lighting for places like entrances and stairs
- Ambient lighting – used in the center of a room to create even lighting throughout a space, such as an overhead light
- Task lighting – used to allow for tasks to be completed, such as kitchen lighting, desk lamps or reading lights
- Motion sensors – used inside and outdoors for safety reasons
When you’re considering the type of lights you want, think about how you use your space, what you want the lights for, if you want the light source to stand out like a decoration or be hidden from view, and where you need them to be placed for maximum benefit.
To save money and be earth-conscious, use energy-efficient lighting. LED lights conserve energy and last longer than traditional incandescent lights. Dimmers are another great way to save energy, plus they set the mood when you’re ready to relax.
Rely on the Experts
Lights increase the value of your home and add definition to your décor. If you’re planning to install new lighting, call us at Nichols Electric and Plumbing in Rochester, NY. Electricians are some of your best friends during a remodel, and we’re eager to help you in any way we can.